Monday, September 14, 2015

Looking back - An appreciation for nostalgia

As I look back over my life, I can't help but recall some of the people who had an influence in my life. One of the best times in my life was when I lived in Council Idaho, and the fierce friendships that have developed and have endured over the years from those few people from the most awesome place on earth.  The lessons of religion, or politics not mattering.  It was as simple as having common morals and ethics, working together to be happy and have a good time. Friends that taught me the importance of knowing things. Like baseball stats, and geographical information.  The only reason I know how many feet are in a mile is because of Ryan Hatfield.  He knew so many numbers and could recall them at an instant. I felt I needed to memorize something, so it was the mile.  David Fisk a true friend if ever I had one. We had tons of fun together, worked hard beside one another so we could go goof off , it didn't matter whose chores needed to be done, the important thing was hanging out.  Christy, Alta, Shari, Tammy, and the other Tammy, Kala, Heather, and the other Christy, Tangi, I know I am forgetting a few all helped me to talk to girls. Which at the time I didn't realize how important that one little thing would be in my life.  And many many more I don't have the brain capacity to name. Many church and civic leaders, my friends parents. And I can't forget Glen, a mountain of a man even in the eighth grade, who is one of the kindest people you could ever meet.  Last but not least was Jason, who was always up for anything.  He just wanted to be going and have everyone going along with him.

Now if I didn't mention your name don't think you are forgotten, and if you feel I mis-remembered you, well there is a comments section.

Anyway, the reason for this post is I wanted to thank some of the people in my life who have done little things for me that have had a dramatic long term affect on me.  Part of it might be the pain pills talking, the other might be the lack of sleep.  No matter the reason, I have realized the last few days how someone in an instant or a few hours can have a life changing impact on you, or rather, me.
I recently found that when coming out of anesthesia, I am well, a little unpredictable and very much unlike myself in some ways and overly like myself in others.  I swore a bunch, was a smart aleck, told a guy he was satan because I was in hell.  And through it all the icu staff at huntsman still managed to continue helping me through their laughter and good times of working with a senile young (getting closer to middle aged) man. Their help made a huge difference in my state of health. Even though it was just 12 hrs at a time.  Many I never saw again and will probably not have the chance to meet again.
So to all of you who are working hard at what you do. To be the best everyday. I offer my humble thanks and sincere gratitude for making a small difference in someone's life, even though you may not have the chance the hear it from those you help.  As a kid who moved around a lot, my first real home in my memory, even though it was just a few years, is Council Idaho, the home of the Lumberjacks!

I know other places have treated me very good as well, but that is for another time.

Merry Christmas, and have a lovely day,
Love, Andy Layne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you recovery is quick and complete. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feelings. That's a gift, I believe.
Get well soon.
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Your "nostalgic" quip is quite fun to read Andy!! HUGE HUGS and sending speedy recovery wishes to you from all of us Golden Spike BNI!