Wednesday, January 12, 2011

3 hrs later, one treatment down

Ok,
I went and had my first round of radiation yesterday. While getting the radiation wasn't felt at all, the prep to get radiation really sucks. Not painful, just uncomfortable. As I have said in the past, I get shrink wrapped into a body form we made a couple of weeks ago, then I get vacuum packed from the belly button down, including my arms (well my wrists and hands.) Then comes the really fun part. Because I am so "strong" (that's how the physicist put it) I don't fit on the table very well (broad shoulders and such). So they have to move the table around to make a complete circle with the machine. Each time they send radiation everyone but me leaves the room. Then they come back in move me around and finish the circle. So time wise its like getting six doses, which put me in that body cast vacuum packed like a little smokie for three, count'em 1,2,3 hours. By the time we finished, I couldn't lift my arms because of my shoulders hurting, and my knees were killing me. But after they released me and let me move my arms for a minute, I was all better, the knees took a little walking around to quit hurting.
Every one was nice, and said "most people would have complained about laying there so long." I was complaining, believe me I was grumbling like crazy, just in my head.

Ok, warning alert for Alan, Skip this paragraph, you don't want to know.
That said I have to tell you a funny thing that happened when I was getting prep'ed. I think I told you that you have to be in your bare nuthins when they put you in the form. So I bought some compression shorts, they are like bicycling shorts. I was joking about how they have the unfortunate job of looking at people in revealing attire. The one nurse said "it's not always bad. You pull of the biker shorts look nicely." The other nurse, told me to take the complement and run, because she doesn't give them out very often.
I think I will try to get pictures of the whole thing next time, maybe not the bike shorts but the body form and such.

Ok Alan, you can read now.
Needless to say, they make a crappy situation fun.

Now for today. I never thought just laying down could make a person so sore. I have been stretching and doing some easy yoga this morning so I can get moving. My shoulders have rebelled against me overnight, everything is just tight. So as the day goes on I hope things start moving better. enough of that I need to get to work.
Merry Christmas and have a lovely day.
Love Andy.

No comments: