Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh deer, oh deer

I thought since I have not wrote a blog in such a long time, I would take a moment to catch you up on things. Andy has been muzzle loading since Tuesday night. He and Morgan went to stay and hunt with my father and brothers. This might take some of you by surprise since Andy doesn't seem to be the great white hunter type. You would be right and wrong in that presumption. Andy grew up with the ultimate great white hunters. In northern Idaho, Andy and his family would deer, elk, rabbit and anything else hunt. It wasn't until Andy married me that he lost some of that drive to grow the grizzly beard and go into the wilderness to become "one with nature". What can I say, I grew up with hunting, but never really got into it like some. Andy just figured if I didn't want to go he didn't need to go. Until about three years ago, while talking with my brothers, Andy started to remember that feeling and decided to join in. So, last year he and Morgan went up and stayed for two nights and the monster reared its ugly head. Since last years hunt, Morgan has taken Hunter's Ed and passed, and both Andy and Morgan have planned and talked of deer camp. Well, they have been gone for nearly five days and no deer. Morgan shot some chuckers and wanted to shoot a rabbit. Yet, they did not bring home a deer (which is fine with me). Venison is my least favorite meat. Now, you also might question "how is Andy able to go hunting? Doesn't he have cancer?" Yes, the cancer is still here, but Andy has been blessed with good health during these treatments. He does have side effects that make it troublesome but not impossible. He is feeling strong and able so, why not. Andy had made a promise to Morgan just after his diagnoses that they would still go to deer camp this year. That was a goal for Andy. It seemed at the time to be an easy one to accomplish, but looking back I am surprise he has been able to do it. Morgan couldn't be happier, nor Andy. This is their time to make memories and to draw closer to each other as father and son. As always, I pray with gratitude for all of you and your support. You are the strength that keeps us afloat. Thank you.

No comments: