Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A difinitive answer at last!

I got some answers this evening. We are not going to have any more IL2. WOO HOO. While some of you may find this a little unnerving, let me explain a little.(Peggy already addressed this in the previous post.) I have reached the point where the balance has tipped from the treatment being beneficial to being detrimental to my health. The kidney doctor is not sure how well my kidneys will bounce back from another dose of IL2, and upon a preliminary look, doesn't see an adverse side effect to my kidneys from the ipilimumab (new drug). So in effect we will not have anymore IL2 because we want to keep my kidneys functioning. The next step is to have a CT Scan done on what would have been our regular schedule, which puts that at the end of July. So the last week of July I will have a scan and see how the tumors are. With any luck and a lot of blessings, they will have kept "stable" or will have shrunk. We are praying for shrinking, but stabilizing will be ok too. If they are stable or have shrunk, we will proceed to a maintenance schedule where I have a scan every 3 to 6 months to monitor existing tumors and check for new ones. If new ones show up or the existing ones start to grow, I will go on the new drug. I am really excited so I may be forgetting stuff here, but right now, I don't really care. If you have questions feel free to post a comment and I will respond to it. Some things I don't know but would be more than happy to find out. Once again, Thank you for the prayers and thoughts, our hearts and prayers go out to you. Merry Christmas and Have a lovely day.
Love Andy.

No comments: