Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hi ya'll, Andy said I was to write the blog to explain what's next for us. So here it goes. Tuesday we met with Dr. Kokeny (radiology oncology) for Friday's scan results. She first told us that there is no other tumors, lesions, or blobs other than the three in Andy's lungs. This is great news. Next she went over her initial concerns with using radiation to treat the little buggers, however, she felt confident with the possible outcome after talking with others and the new scan. There are several concerns that Andy, myself, and the Dr.'s all have. One is that there will be damage to the lungs that is going to effect his overall health and well being for the time he is given. This damage is definite, but the amount and side effects from it are less defined. Originally Dr. Kokeny thought it would be more than we should gamble with. Now after the scan she is more comfortable and sure that the damage from radiation will not be severe. This does not mean that there couldn't be issues or problems along the way, it just means she is confident that this is the next plausible step in the battle with Andy's cancer. So, next week Andy will be doing the prep/planning stage of radiation treatment. They make a body mold of Andy while doing a Digital CT scan. The mold is made so during the treatment stage Andy will be placed in the same exact settings. This is because the laser they use is so precise it will target the tumors exactly each time as long as he is is the same spot and position each treatment. The Digital CT scan it to view how the tumors move within the lungs while Andy is breathing. Dr. Kokeny is able to see exactly where the tumors are with each breath and she can tell exact where damage will occur. This is amazing technology. We then meet with Dr. Grossman. He went over all the options again that we are facing. And decided that radiation is what we should do. I have to say I am thankful for Dr. Grossman, Karen, and Carolyn. They really have given us what many medical personnel forget to do. They have given us a voice. We have a great blessing of amazing Dr.'s and nurses. We love them and are extremely grateful for their talents and gifts of humanity.
I have to mention something that has been on my mind. Most people refer to cancer as a battle. I have to say lately I feel the affect of that battle. Our generals (Dr.'s) have done an absolute miracle in their stratagem to get ahead of and over throw the enemy has been a blessing. Andy's body is the battlefield and there are days that it shows. He lately has been feeling stronger, healthier, and better than any of us have even thought possible. It shows that some battles are invisible and we are unaware of the goings on. I and the kids feel as we are the watchers of this scenario. We watch and wait for news and information then pick up what we can find to hold on to and breathe through what doesn't seem possible to survive.
I need to also make some mention of the surgery (TIL). We are not at this moment doing it. When we talked about this with our beloved Dr.'s they said to still do the fundraisers. We are not doing the surgery this month, that doesn't mean that it is not out of the picture entirely. They advised us to continue with the donations. Andy's medical cost are going to keep rising from here on out and even though surgery may not be immediately in the future, more scans, treatments, and lots of other medical cost are ahead in the near future and long term.
Now I can be a little more goofy with this blog. I am so excited for Christmas!!! I honestly feel like a little kid who can't wait for the morning and see the tree all lit up and sparkly. This year we are trying to enjoy things as a family (hard to do when stress takes up all energy), so we are singing Christmas carols, watching Christmas shows, looking at lights. It has been fun. We downsized (like many of you)this year and made the presents that were bought more heart felt and true to the giver and the receiver. By the way, I have wrapped Andy's present and placed it next to the tree (heeheehee). He can see it and touch it and it is driving him nuts. I love this. I love making the hubby and kids squirm with curiosity. I love Christmas. I love seeing the kids open the presents and hear them say "I can't believe I got this", or Caity saying, "I fooled the old man, I got a present anyway." Yes, Caity who claims to not believe in Santa is always the most excited when she see that the "old man" brought presents for her. I hope this blog finds you having a great holiday season. Thank you for all you do for us. We are so thankful for the generosity and love you show us and everyone around. And I am actually going to end this with Merry Christmas.

No comments: